Friday, May 13, 2005

Hang onto your dreams, and glide through your future...

sd
When I was a little tike I lived with every dream a kid would have - to grow up to become the best. And at that moment when asked about our ambitions in life the only options were being a doctor, the prime minister, a dentist, a pilot or Jalaludin Hassan.
sd
I mean, at the moment those are the only jobs that we know off; or been fed into by our hopeful parents. It is then later we realised in high school, that those dreams we once had will come crumbling down; as we held up our monthly add maths exam paper with an 'F' circled in red. And it is at that particular time we finally realised that it's time that we start to think about other pathways in life. Suddenly the idea of just settling down as a mediocre civil servant comes lounging in our heads (yes, we now know that the post 'civil servant' is actually a real job and not a type of amah). The thing is, at that point we just wanna find an easy solution to our problems. We have this one-track mind which focuses on just satisfying our current emotional stress.
23
Then comes matriculation (or STPM) and later-on if we're lucky, admissions into universities. Those lucky enough might score a job at any banks or salons or even their local 7-eleven stores. But for those still fighting the worthy fight; the question of our future still hangs in balance....
23
The point I'm trying to advocate is that today I've realised that, I need to start carving my own path. I'm finishing my industrial training in 5-6 weeks time, then what? Am I gonna stay home doing nothing for the next few months waiting for convocation? And then what? Well, I might give it some few months to just shake off the whole graduation-farewells stigma. Then what? The fact is we now need to start figuring out what to be in life. Start searching for jobs? Well then, get in line...its a LONG line figuring that almost 60,000 graduates are without jobs. Maybe I'll opt to do my Masters, but where? And can you stand another 2 or 3 years, bound by the mishaps and responsibilities of a studious lifestyle? And then what? Well, now I can find a job considering that I have my MSc. degree...but again, I don't have any working experience; which in turn brings us back to square one. What next? Go for my PhD.? The vicious cycle repeats itself. If only I did great on that add maths paper in high school.....*sigh*
23
Don't take this personally, its just a conviction of my own chaotic mind...
23
I guess you can take things into perspective. Live life one day at a time, but always have a clear eye on the future. Don't expect everything to go according to plan, and don't be afraid to make mistakes. Vaishali once told me that someone who stays at one point is someone who's afraid to make mistakes. And I believe she is right. We're bound to make mistakes, cause we're imperfect human beings. Sometimes the only way to progress is by making mistakes, and learning from them. Life can only punish us so much, but we can always bounce back and take charge again. That's what makes this journey worthwhile...and worth the ride.
12
So today I wish success to each and everyone of my friends and family, in whatever they're pursuing. Don't lose hope on what you believe, and don't lose faith in what you already have. Always cling on to your dreams, and with enough perseverance that dream will no longer withstand a wish, but a reality. And I also wish success to myself in my future, I hope that this mist's a bit clearer now...there's a reason the future's God knowledge and not ours; because He wants us to take charge of our future and earn it, instead of taking it for granted. I believe this is true, in any faithful religion...
12
-JeP

No comments: