Saturday, February 19, 2005

People, work and American Idol...

If you want to see the locals of Sabah from a different perspective, spend some time in Queen Elizabeth hospital...

Really, that's exactly what I did yesterday. Well, at least till noon. You haven't seen the true colours of Sabahan people till you meet them in the wards here in QE. Yesterday I had the pleasure of accompanying my grandma for her eye surgery in QE in the early hours of the day; say 6.30am. As bland as a drunk cat that I was that morning, I still found it in me to drive all the way to QE's hallway and park about a mile away and walk all the way into QE. Oh and did I mention on the way I crossed two roads full with crazy mad traffic?

We had to wait for about 15 mins before being admitted into the eye ward; in the process I had the opportunity to have a glance of the wonderful people already inhibiting the packed ward. Believe me, it was kinda cute listening to makciks babble with each other in Sabahan slang I've missed hearing. I'm not Sabahan-born but I'm as much as proud of my heritage as well as being raised in Sabah...somehow throughout the years I've developed a keen sense for the Borneo state. And the topics they talk about - let's just say that we've learned from the best shall we!?

Anyway, grandma's recovering well, still recuperating with minor pains at her eyes...

Yesterday was also the date in which I chose to send in my thesis's 2nd draft to Dr. Vijay. Minor corrections but it took a while for me to finish 'em. He was kinda tired and sleepy when I saw him - it was almost 5pm. Guess days and days of checking his student's thesis drafts finally got the best of him. We're notorious for our ability to 'merapu tahap dewa' in our reports...hope he'll find the kindness in him to cope with us. Before going home I dropped by BRI and had a chat with past mentors Mel, Thien and Kenneth...that took an hour. It's good to be able to just go into BRI without the pressure of work actually. Oh, Ismak was also there, looking very worried I might say. Who isn't at this point of time anyways? Thesis submission's due 21st Feb, and this date was a week postponed from the initial dates. Hopefully this time submission won't be as dramatic as the proposal submissions were...it was raining then. I believe Erni and Nafa agree with me how dramatic it was...:-)

American Idol has concluded its 24 finalists...everyone deserved the spot.

I've always had this fasination about reality TV shows on Astro - Amazing Race was indeed my favorite; this season was the best ever! Now my recent crush is American Idol...yesterday the final 24-contestant were nominated. Its astonishing really to see so many talented singers in America - back here in Malaysia there's rarely much talent to be brought in the limelight. It kinda worse for the judges really; having to eliminate people's dreams, really talented people that it without good excuse. I mean, they're unquestionably talented. But I believe that the contest has actually came to the point that the only reason you can give, is that someone has to go. Eventually at some point the competition will be so great that, you can't find any liable faults for elimination but have to make a decision though. Tough luck for those who were eliminated, but good luck for those who's flame is still burning.

I still believe that some of the contestants took the competition too seriously anyways...

Well, here we are - at the end of another post. I'm supposed to follow the family to Kudat this evening...and I have to drop by UMS to get my drafts from Dr. V in the mean time. Hmmm, this could be interesting....

It's a miracle if I can keep a sane mind after this. Not that I'm already sane anyways..

-JeP

No comments: