Friday, March 14, 2008

"The one with attempting passion..."

Twiddle with time, backing tide into your mere decade-ages when the classical question is often asked;
What would you like to be when you grow up?

We're victims of the usual choices; doctors, firemen, teachers, etc. It isn't until we mature into the harsh realities of life that we discover we're not eloquently built for such masteries. So we resort to other career opportunities and chances that pass in front of ourselves, leading to where we are now.

But, ask yourself :
Am I really passionate in what I'm doing? Do I really want to continue doing what I do now, 10, 20-years in the future?

Are we really happy with what we have? What we do? If that is the case, there'd be no wanting. And when there's no wanting, they'd be no lust, no desperation. With no despair, there'd be no envy, and corruption. And everyone knows that with no corruption, there'd be no aristocracy. But let's face it - if we're content with things the way they are we'd never better ourselves, would we? Stale at a point, never moving ahead. It might seem, that as whimsical as wanting is concerned with progressing, I come with a perspective we should ponder upon;
Could passion bring us happiness, in retribution of being content?

The plethora's simple - if we're passionate in whatever we indulge ourselves in, would we be both happy and would want to better our skills to the best of God's willingness in us? As a person in the line of academics, I'm glad to be able to do, what I do daily - research, learning and teaching. I'm happy, but am I passionate about what I achieve? Which brings me to this person; Prof. Dr. Walter Lewin, professor of physics in MIT. I've known him through my peers for about almost two years now, and through Dr. Hosseinkhani of whom I've met sometime last year I was able to personally know him as a very exuberant as well as enthusiastic researcher; sharing his life's devotion to the science of x-rays.

It wasn't before I read this piece that I'm reminded again of his passionate self. When asked whether he'd enjoy teaching with his intricate, unorthodox teaching methods there's this simple statement;
"I feel happy doing so..."

How many of us can say so, with actual meaning? God knows, how many such individuals as Prof. Lewin that we especially need in the educational field of our country. To instill that knowledge is not what keeps us living, but what teaches us how to live. I'm a keen observer that with good knowledge comes humbleness. With humility, comes appreciation. With appreciation, comes respect and with respect, comes unity.

We all know, that's what we definitely be needing from now on into the clouded future ahead.

-JeP

No comments: