Sunday, April 08, 2007

"The one with the oldies..."

For some reason this morning I felt the urge to play the songs I grew up with on my playlist. You know, those corny love songs accompanying many saddleback moments we use to have as teenagers. And yes, these included songs by infamous boybands which, to me personally shaped the revolution of the pop genre back in the mid 90s.

The powerful thing about music is it's ability to embody many feelings and emotions, as well as the ability for us to rekindle time lost, or spent in the past. God bless, I had a very colorful experience with tunes I grew up with. Call me chessy or mock me unrelentlessly, but I'm sure it's a lie if you say there wasn't a time at all in your teenage years that you've sang along to the likes of BSB, Brian McKnight, Samantha Mumba, and their various counterparts. If any, everyone 'living' in the 90s would at least know a song or two on them. If you don't, it's due time to move your butt off the couch and start mingling around with society and the world, while you still can....

I can safely say that the music I grew up in the past still rings familiar effects as it did when I first heard them playing. Back then we don't have the efficiency of CDs and DVDs to hear them on full stereo surround sounds; instead we found middle ground with VHS cassettes and tapes. Nevertheless, as our imaginations and minds would always learn to enjoy every each momentary lapses listening to their tracks. And knowing the fact that you can't simply skip tracks as easy as CDs, we usually went through the whole album and probably enjoyed most of their songs. Back then we bought their albums based on fanaticism on the singers themselves, not of preference on only one single as we see now.

Boy, also back then you'll see a lot of posers and cases of art imitating life - we'd have these talent shows around KK and you'll see many turn up for a piece of the limelight. Needless to say, I was one of those fortunate few. And I'm not embarrassed to say that I enjoyed every minute of it. Of course, most of the time these talents shows such as Bakat Interact and Bakat Leo were more of a show for glamour and glitz. Those were the perks of growing up and being young, and these are the moments of remembrance now that I've passed this phase and 'evolved' to who I am.

These are precious memories I'll treasure all my life, and pose as something I'd share with the young generations ahead around me. God forbid, I wouldn't have asked of any other way to live my young, joyful years.

-JeP

No comments: