Monday, February 19, 2007

The one about moral fiber...

in-teg-ri-ty
n.
1. Steadfast adherence to a strict moral code or ethical code.
2. The state of being unimpaired; soundness.
3. The quality or condition of being whole or undivided; completeness.
4. Moral or ethical strength : character, fiber, honesty.

By right, every person is born with an equal amount of integrity. Consciously it engulfs the very personality we exude at young; being very native about everything and taking anything at its obscurity. Alas along the journey into adolescent, the very being of our integrity get's scraped off bit by bit.

Funny, when we talk about integrity. The usual man on the street would tell you that he has much integrity on himself; but selfless to say he'll be the one sitting in the LRT while an elder stands next to him. The same goes to a broad extension of acts we see, or even do on a daily basis. I mean, would you adhere to a red light on an empty road? Would you stop and line-up onto the train when all else flogs the entrance like a herd of sheep into their lair? Or, would you kind enough offer food to the homeless beggars on the street?

Reality is, and it does bite, that integrity had evolved into a scarce moral fiber. Not easily as abundant as it was during our forefathers' generation. I guess somewhere along the line it dissolved into the parcels of heavy civilization and upfront glitz glamours of what we now call our 'culture'. Beyond substantial apprehension, it's also safe to say that integrity is definitely eluded by the greed of money.

Why would I humor you with the question of integrity, and equal morality? Hmm....I'm not sure myself.

I realized, after my previous birthday that things have certainly changed since I first remembered celebrating my turn of age. Life certainly hasn't been the same, if not the complete opposite. I had a chat with a friend sometime during lunch once and the issue regarding moral fiber was raised. I came to realize that as we progress up the ladder we'll definitely come across a lot of posers; people who are pretenders, hypocrites if you'd say. And as these people slowly devour you into their appraisals, you need not be. Alhamdulillah, I've been raised in such a way that we don't easily lose our faith in our principles so I've always relied on the sole proposal that I wouldn't care onto what people inflict upon myself, but I do care onto what I inflict on people, I do care about.

Confused? Everyone does once in a while.

The greatest person is judged not by the strength of his arms and legs, but by the strength of his mind and heart.

-JeP

No comments: