Wednesday, September 20, 2006

"The one with appreciating your advantages..."

1
Forgive me, for being cheesy once in a while...

Yesterday marked the end of UPM's 2006 2nd Convocation. I know, two congregations kinda pushing it but it just so seems that throngs of graduates are produced by the varsity annually so commencing two separate events would be the just thing to do.


Having said that though; doesn't mean that this was just a 'tangkap muat' convo. It had the same knick-knacks shared by the first one earlier in July, but with a few minor details left off. Of course, the ceremony would have to fit the masses and justify its purpose so people don't seem to mind losing some irrelevant things (i.e extravagant hollywood spotlights, grand expo, etc). In a sense; it's as exciting seeing those graduating as well as yourself actually graduating, if you know what I mean. The atmosphere, the smiles, the people, the families, the celebration. At one particular timeframe all converge as one.

And to see those once under your care and supervision graduate - now that's a feeling not everyone can get, or appreciate in that matter.

People often contemplate how IPTA lecturers are not well paid compared to others - at this point a teacher with a standard degree could earn as much as a lecturer with a PhD; and of course by saying this I'm not amiss of those yearning that the government revise the current salary of lecturers. However, nowadays I believe there's another way of looking at it.

Two of my students graduated in the last convocation. About another three just took of their robes yesterday. For each of them, I've taken pictures with, had a laugh, met their parents, and shared their joy. But more importantly, was how they thanked me for imparted the little knowledge I 'somehow' manage to gave them. I felt kinda weird receiving these praises but I guess it hit me then - this is what makes up for those hard work and getting paid less.

That feeling. For some, it's the best thing of teaching. And for others, this must be the only thing they look forward to every year and every passing batch. Seeing the ones they'd once taught graduate, and spreading their wings. At least for me, this totally makes up for the loose pay.

Now this still doesn't include the various seminars (overseas and local) you'd get to go, the joy of tutoring young prodigies, meeting new interesting people in your field that share your passion, and other such opportunities. These, I guess are bonuses as being staffs in IPTAs that not every Ali and Gayah can get anywhere else but in an institution of higher learning. And for individuals among these little niche groups which I reside in, it's sometimes makes up the tension of low-paid salaries. At the moment, of course...

Personne ne peuvent prévoir le futur. No one can predict the future.

-JeP

No comments: