Saturday, April 23, 2005

"Take each day as it comes..."

You know, sometimes the greatest hurdles in life is not as big as what people usually perceive it to be. For me, the greatest hurdle to overcome at the moment is to get through every day with at least something.
asdasdasd
asdasThe second week of my internship in GIST has concluded it's showcase today. It's suppose to be a public holiday in Korea every 2nd and 4th Sat in a month, but I can't help but be amazed at how committed Koreans are. Hence my presence here in the lab on a quite cool morning. And writing my blog. And surfing the net. And stare aimlessly into the free air and inevitable silence. And sometimes I read published papers - but this lasts as long as the Negaraku song as my eyes start to jump in sleep mode. And that's practically what I do daily. Well, with the exceptions of attending classes every day, and the occasional chores of cell culture and other unchallenging stuff. Yup, that's about it. My Prof's returned from the States this week, and I had the opportunity to meet him on Thursday night. He's a very warm guy, nice and encouraging. Despite the fact that he'd just returned and had to prepare for a lecture the following day, he promised to meet me today to discuss about my work during the course of my attachment here in GIST.
asdasdad
And yet he hasn't shown up - I'm only just hoping....
asdasd
sssssI've been constantly getting in touch with people in Malaysia these days through the luxury and convenience of the world wide web. Mainly through email and messenger, but by far my heart lies in the presence of Skype, the father of peer-2-peer softwares! It offers international costs at internet costs (which, in my case, free of charge) to people all over the world. And luckily Malaysia also follows down the category of 'all over' so I've been having calls with Fifah for a few times. Despite the occasional computer crashes and stuff. It's great to be able to talk to someone on the other side you know. A million thanks to Lie as well - her computer's been the medium at which I and Fifah commune. Now if only I can find a way to contact my family....it's been a while since I called them. It's practically impossible to find an IDD card here in Gwangju, with all the signs and posters in Korean. You'd have to go to each store and say "IDD-telephone cardu ee summneeka?" which translates something like "Do you have IDD telephone cards?". Now saying this is the easy part. The problematic part is distinguishing the reply you get. Now that's when all hell breaks loose. That's when you realise that you are barking up the wrong tree. Walking the wrong path. Kicking the wrong ball. That's when you realise that you're apparently in a store selling bird food and hotdogs, so immediately you realise the absurdity of your question. And the other part is that, you can't really tell if whether the person you addressed the question is replying you politely such as "..oh, no sir. This is a Pet's store. We don't sell phone cards." or something more repulsive such as "..hey Asian geek, buzz off my store. We don't give free food! And hand's off my coffee!". Evidently you realise that you have a cup of coffee in your hands, now knowing the person it belongs to.
asdasdd
sssssCombined with the natural argument that I have no free time to go scout the nearby town, that pretty much sums up that I can't get and IDD card at the moment. Oh - but I ate ubi manis goreng the other day...!
Lie has published in her blog saying that she misses KK so much. I wonder if the extent of her missing KK's that great, what would it be for us here? Hmm..Soo Chin doesn't seem to be bothered, well she's a fighter. I mean, she does everything. And tries everything. I even do boy-stuff with her, such as sports and such. But I guess the person who, above every one else who really yearns for home might definitely be Cindy - just take a look at her blog, and you'll get what I mean. Plus the fact that she tells this to almost everyone in GIST. Well, life can take on your emotions really hard at times like these; I guess you'll just have to find a way to get through it. It's just another 8 weeks....I hope.
asdasd
sssssOkay, that might be enough for today I presume. Still in the lab. Not doing anything. Writing endless crap on my blog (which Soo Chin galantly says is mostly crap anyways..) and wondering what's gonna be for lunch, another Maggi maybe? Alas, more weeks to come and more stories to tell. Until again people, take care and have a great weekend...mom I miss you so much.
asdasd
-JeP

No comments: